Professionals that use the IPC J-STD-001 Space Applications Electronic Hardware Addendum can choose between two training options. CIS and CIT Module 6 optional courses provides supplementary material to train individuals who currently have J-STD-001 CIS or CIT credentials.
Building Excellence in Electronic Assemblies
The leading authority for electronics assembly manufacturing is the IPC J-STD-001 Requirements for Soldered Electrical and Electronic Assemblies. This standard defines methods, verification criteria and materials that should be used to produce soldered interconnections of high quality. Process control is emphasized and consensus industry requirements are set for a wide assortment of electronic products.
Hundreds of companies from across the globe contact IPC requesting that this important standard be supported with formal training programs that provides individuals with training materials and recognizes them as a qualified instructor. IPC has released a comprehensive solder training program complete with certification that is hands-on and based on IPC J-STD-001. The program was developed and approved by industry and gives companies the required tools to increase both the performance and skills of employees.
How does the Program Work?
A train-the-trainer instructional model was used to develop the IPC J-STD-001 Training and Certification Program from IPC. When a company wants have an IPC Licensed IPC J-STD-001 Certified IPC Trainer in-house, they send their applicant to a J-STD-001 Certification Center that is licensed by IPC. Demonstrations and soldering labs, as well as classroom instruction are used to teach the criteria of the standard during the program.
Once a certified IPC Trainer candidate has successfully completed the practical soldering part of the training and has passed the examination for certification, they are provided with the instructional material they need to train Application Specialists. This training comes in modules, enabling the trainer to only train on specific modules without having to cover the whole document. The introductory section is compulsory for all Application Specialists, after which they should receive training on modules applicable to their daily activities. Modules include surface mount technology and the inspection thereof, through hole technology, and wires and terminals. It should be noted that the starting point is the completion of the first module, and at least one additional knowledge modules should then follow.
Lead-free solder should be used for a minimum of half of the practical projects for instructor training. Depending on the company’s requirements, the types of solder alloys that are used for training is voluntary.
The IPC’s J-STD-001 Training and Certification Program will equip individuals with valuable credentials that is portable and acknowledges their understanding of the J-STD-001. As the program is offered to industry as a service, adopting it is not required before a company buys the standard, or claims that their products meet the requirements.
The following topics are covered in the Registered Instructor Training Course:
- General requirements including tools, safety and ESD (electrostatic discharge).
- Responsibilities and roles, and instructional skills of Certified IPC Trainers.
- Requirements, demonstrations and laboratory for: Surface mount technology, Through hole technology, Wire and terminal assembly.
- Process requirements for reflow and machine soldering.
- General acceptance requirements of soldered connections, including Lead Free.
- How to use statistical process control methodologies.
- Related standards and test methods.
The J-STD-001 Certified IPC Trainer qualification is valid for two years.
Candidates for the program include training managers, quality assurance supervisors, assembly process engineers and any other professionals that need to ensure the reliability and quality of soldered electronic assemblies.
Companies interested in adopting J-STD-001 or are already using it, can meet the training requirement specified in the standard through this program.
Although the program does not have any official entrance requirements, candidates for the Certified IPC Trainer program must have very good hand soldering skills. They should also ideally have some experience in training.
What are the Program Benefits?
Any company interested in quality assurance initiatives can use this IPC-sponsored program to assist with their pledge to continuous improvement, both for products and operations. Being recognized by IPC conveys a powerful message to customers that the company is committed to implementing J-STD-001.
All IPC J-STD-001 Certified IPC Trainers receive the following instructional materials that can be used to teach the Certified IPC Specialist training course:
- The PowerPoint slides provided contains the Instructor guide content in the “Notes” section.
- Digital files containing visuals in full color for all aspects of the training course and the standard. These files can be download or are available on CD.
- Support materials that may be printed.
- Test board artwork. Standard boards will be given to Certified IPC Trainer candidates at Certification Centers. It is recommended that test boards based on this artwork is used for demonstrating Application Specialist soldering.
- A copy of the IPC-T-50 Terms and Definitions and the IPC-9191 General Guidelines for Implementation of Statistical Process Control (SPC), as well as copies of the J-STD-001 Handbook (IPC-HDBK-001).
- Only Certified IPC Trainers or their companies may purchase any of these training materials from IPC. Certified IPC Trainers are allowed to present the training wherever they want and may charge a training fee.
To get training and certification, contact a local training center. The training centers with the most complete IPC classroom training programs are listed below on a per continent base.
Africa: SQC-Pretoria – http://solvedirectelectronics.co.za/
Asia: IPC China – http://www.ipc.org.cn/
Europe: PIEK International Education Centre (I.E.C.) – https://piek.international/
North America: EPTAC Corporation – https://www.eptac.com/
South America: Blackfox Training Institute-Guadalajara – http://www.blackfox.com/
Australia/Oceania: Australia SMCBA Training Centre – https://www.smcba.asn.au/
This article is also available in: Deutsch (German) Русский (Russian) Български (Bulgarian) Hrvatski (Croatian) Čeština (Czech) Dansk (Danish) Nederlands (Dutch) Eesti (Estonian) Suomi (Finnish) Français (French) Ελληνικα (Greek) Magyar (Hungarian) Gaeilge (Irish) Italiano (Italian) Latviešu (Latvian) Lietuvos (Lithuanian) Malti (Maltese) polski (Polish) Português (Portuguese (Portugal)) Română (Romanian) Slovenčina (Slovak) Slovenščina (Slovenian) Español (Spanish) Svenska (Swedish) Türkçe (Turkish)