IPC-A-610, Acceptability of Electronic Assemblies is standard published by the IPC that is most used. It aims for excellence in electronic assembly and supports lead-free training. Available in many languages, this modular training is done at the application level and is recognized internationally as the de facto standard for acceptance criteria of end products. The program covers both high reliability printed wiring assemblies and consumer electronics. Read here IPC standards, IPC-A-610 and IPC J-STD-001
Based on IPC-A-610, the program was developed by industry and is also approved by it. The program consists of training, certification and instructional materials, and is available to any company. This certificate demonstrates a commitment to customer requirements and will assist companies implementing ISO 9001, or any other quality assurance systems.
The certification is recognized and valued throughout the electronics industry. Thousands of individuals have successfully completed the program. The IPC-A-610 Training is comprehensive and technically accurate and provides trainers with detailed instructions and quality materials to train all levels of Application Specialists, including management, sales teams, and buyers.
There are two tiers of instruction in this IPC-A-610 program. Candidates who want to qualify as Certified IPC Trainers are sent to an IPC authorized certification center to receive intensive training on IPC-A-610. Candidates must complete the course and pass the examinations before they are certified. Any candidates that feel they don’t need the course may take a “challenge test” at a certification center. Once qualified, trainers certified by IPC have access to instructional materials that can be used to train Application Specialist.
The IPC-A-610 Certified IPC Trainer certificate is valid for 2 years. Training for re-certification is available at IPC Licensed Certification Centers.
Topics in the instructor course include:
- Application and Purpose of IPC-A-610
- Establishing certification program integrity and maintaining it
- Soldering criteria, including lead free connections
- Hardware installation
- Plated-through holes soldered connection requirements
- Terminal connections soldering requirements
- Heatsink and swaged hardware requirements
- Chip components surface mounting criteria
- Assembly requirements for jumper wire
- DIP, socket pin and card edge connector component mounting criteria
- Cleaning and coating, laminate conditions and component damage criteria
- Voiding, dewetting and tombstoning soldering techniques
- SMT component group solder fillet dimensional criteria
- Effective steps to use the lesson materials and plan
- Inspection tips
- Important Certified IPC Trainer skills review
Any professional responsible for the reliability and quality of electronic assemblies would benefit from the A-610 training program. Quality supervisors and trainers familiar with electronic assemblies, as well as manufacturing and engineering supervisors with responsibilities that include assembly are all good candidates for A-610 training.
The IPC-A-610 Training and Certification Program supports companies committed to continuous improvement of the reliability and quality of products an IPC-sponsored program that is industry traceable. Individuals will receive portable credentials that demonstrate their understanding of the IPC-A-610.
Any IPC-A-610 Certified IPC Trainer successfully completing the program receives materials for completing the training, as well as materials that can be used to conduct the Application Specialist training. The Application Specialist training material is modular and users can control costs by altering training to the company’s specific.
Materials provided includes:
- IPC certificate of course completion
- A CD-ROM containing color visuals covering every aspect of the training course and the standard.
- An instructor guide that can be used to present thae Application Specialist training.
- IPC-T-50 Terms and Definitions for Interconnecting and Packaging Electronic Circuits
- IPC-A-610 Acceptability of Electronic Assemblies
- Examinations (Closed and Open Book) for IPC-A-610 Application Specialist training.
Only Certified IPC Trainers and their companies may buy materials for Application Specialist training from IPC. Certified Trainers may present the course anywhere they want and are allowed to charge a fee for the training.
To get training and certification, contact a local training center. The training centers with the most complete IPC classroom training programs are listed below on a per continent base.
Africa: SQC-Pretoria – http://solvedirectelectronics.co.za/
Asia: IPC China – http://www.ipc.org.cn/
Europe: PIEK International Education Centre (I.E.C.) – https://piek.international/
North America: EPTAC Corporation – https://www.eptac.com/
South America: Blackfox Training Institute-Guadalajara – http://www.blackfox.com/
Australia/Oceania: Australia SMCBA Training Centre – https://www.smcba.asn.au/
This article is also available in: Deutsch (German) Русский (Russian) Български (Bulgarian) Hrvatski (Croatian) Čeština (Czech) Dansk (Danish) Nederlands (Dutch) Eesti (Estonian) Suomi (Finnish) Français (French) Ελληνικα (Greek) Magyar (Hungarian) Gaeilge (Irish) Italiano (Italian) Latviešu (Latvian) Lietuvos (Lithuanian) Malti (Maltese) polski (Polish) Português (Portuguese (Portugal)) Română (Romanian) Slovenčina (Slovak) Slovenščina (Slovenian) Español (Spanish) Svenska (Swedish) Türkçe (Turkish)